Monday, May 13, 2013

Holy Enchilada!

It's no secret, so I'm just gonna say it.

I am not a cook.

Baking has always been more my thing. I've just never been able to release my inner Rachel Ray.

But maybe she's emerging.

I'm constantly looking for recipes that are both good AND healthy. I mean, who wants to eat grilled chicken and veggies every. single. night?

Enter Pinterest.

Anyone who knows me is aware of my Pinterest addiction. I'm sure I'm not alone here, right?

I came across this recipe that looked interesting. And yummy. And healthy. (Insert fist pump here).

So I tried it. And loved it. And the hubs loved it too.

The original recipe came from Emily Bites, a great blog that you must check out. Like, for real. Here's the link to the recipe.

And here's a pic of my version:


I pretty much went by the Emily Bites recipe, I just omitted the corn (didn't have it on hand) and I used raw spinach instead of the frozen. Nothing earth-shattering.

So I made these little amazing rolls of goodness. And loved them. And ate them for leftovers.

About a week later, the hubs and I went on a cruise. One night our dining room was serving this dish that sounded like it would be a party for my taste buds, so I tried it. And guess what? I swear to you, the cruise ship chef must read the Emily Bites blog, 'cause the dish tasted just like the ones I made. But, what made the egg rolls (they called theirs enchiladas even though they were made with egg roll wrappers) even better than mine was that they were smothered with enchilada sauce. Oh, glory.

So, when I got home, I was on a mission to make homemade enchilada sauce to go over my veggie egg rolls. Pinterest to the rescue! I pinned a great enchilada sauce recipe from Cookie Monster that is both easy and good for you!

So, put these two recipes together to make one amazing dish!

By the way, you can freeze both the rolls and the sauce for those nights you just don't feel like cooking. If you have any leftovers, that is.

Happy enchilada making!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...